Dry Eyes in Sheridan and Gillette WY
Keeping up with changes to your eyes may require solutions for discomfort. By working with optometrists in Sheridan and Gillette WY, you address discomfort from dry eyes. At our clinic, we offer treatments for dry eye relief after identifying the problem.
What is Dry Eye?
Dry eye is a condition in your eyes that causes irritation. While many individuals face dry eyes at some point in their life, it becomes a concern when the problem persists and develops into a chronic condition.
Common signs of the problem include:
- Itchy eyes
- Irritation that feels like dirt or other items in your eyes
- Excessive watering of the eyes
- Blurred vision or changes in your vision
- Tired eyes, particularly when using a computer or similar devices
While the symptoms of dry eyes may occur for a variety of reasons, you want to discuss the problem with an optometrist when it persists or worsens over time. Some forms of dry eyes may not have a cure and do not fade without proper treatment, so you want to avoid long-term complications by seeking treatment.
Common Causes of Dry Eye
The causes of dry eye depend on your specific situation and lifestyle. By understanding common factors that contribute to your dry eyes, you obtain the dry eye relief you need by treating the underlying factors.
Common causes of dry eye include:
- Genetics or genetic factors
- Aging, particularly in older adults
- Wearing contact lenses
- Weather conditions, such as windy weather that dries out your eyes
- Medications, which cause dry eyes as a side effect
- Medical conditions
- Pregnancy in women
- Exposure to smoke in your environment
- Forgetting to blink regularly
- Looking at a computer or similar device for extended periods, particularly when you do not blink often enough
- Problems with your eyelids
- Eye surgeries, such as laser treatments
In some situations, the symptoms of dry eyes fade by making small adjustments to your lifestyle, environment or behaviors. For example, we may recommend blinking more regularly or avoiding environments with high winds, smoke exposure or similar factors. We also recommend looking away from a computer screen every few minutes to avoid fatigue and dry eyes from a computer or technological device. When the problem persists or relates to other factors, we offer treatments to help with your symptoms.
When to Seek Dry Eye Treatment in Sheridan or Gillette
You want to seek dry eye treatment in Sheridan or Gillette when the problem persists and continually causes discomfort. Optometrists in Sheridan and Gillette WY focus on the cause of your discomfort before suggesting a treatment strategy. We may recommend medicated eye drops, punctal plugs or other treatments to address your dry eyes. Medications we recommend depend on your current health and any medications you currently take to avoid interactions or other problems.
Meet Our Dry Eye Relief Optometry Team in Sheridan and Gillette
Treating dry eyes depends on your situation and your goals. To learn more about treating your condition or to set up an appointment with an optometrist to discuss your symptoms, contact us at 307-673-5177 or 307-682-2747 today.